Thursday, November 21, 2013

On being a statistic

I am officially a statistic.  

Merck announced on October 1 they were going to eliminate 8500 jobs, in addition to the 7500 already announced, in addition to the slightly more than 25,000 already eliminated.

I am one of said such eliminated positions.  Now in 2013 its a faux pas to say laid off, or downsized, or any other colloquial terms for ceasing employment with your current provider.  My outplacement service provider has urged all effected persons to make an exit statement.  Mine is as follows:

Merck & Co. faces enormous challenges posed by an ever-changing pharmaceutical industry.  They have begun to transform the way it operates by sharpening its focus on core business and reducing operating costs, including headcount. This global initiative will reduce overall headcount by 20% by 2015, including my position. This change has afforded me the opportunity to explore new options. With my record of improving operational efficiency, reducing operating costs, developing new training programs and managing diverse staff and colleagues, my objective is to locate a position as Operations Executive in the pharmaceutical industry.



Of course an exit statement makes it seem so cold and sterile.  And while it is true, I was a victim of bad circumstance and timing and the company truly is struggling, it doesn't feel good to have not made the cut.  I was/am Legacy Schering Plough. I have worked with the company for nearly 8 years, and if what I hear is correct only 9% of us Schering folks remain. So I can take some solace that I was overdue for this change.

I have known since October 1, 2013 that I would likely have this outcome.  I was rather ambivalent about which outcome I desired. On one hand I need the job, the associated pay and healthcare benefits for the family. It is not like I am retirement age or will receive a substantial severance or such. So all logic dictates that I should want the job. On the other side of the coin is the fact that all early indicators point to me being yet another statistic and footmark in a governmental report. My direct management has all but guaranteed my departure via their actions and demeanors. So I have had some time to get 'used' to the idea. 

I also feel like I am on the bow of the Titanic and the iceberg is dead ahead. The problem with cuts, especially in my industry, and more so to research is that the future of the company rests in the hands of the scientists. If you cut too many scientists, or demoralize them, impact their ability to create or otherwise disrupt productivity then you have a self fulfilling scenario of continued pipeline losses and setbacks. So survival today means I dodged the upswing of the axe, but the downswing can come 6 months, or so later.

So which is the optimal outcome? Those left behind have quite the task ahead of them to sort out and get things moving again. The impact to the culture and morale is not repairable. Trusts have been broken and the employees at large generally are in a state of shock. In addition to this phase of the reinvention, legacy Merck employees have lived with the shadow of layoffs for about 6-8 years. My department has been feeling this for 4 years.  The mental wear and tear on all the employees is tremendous. So being cut, while logically a horrible option for me and my family or anyone else whom is cut, may actually relieve stress and frustrations. I am also somewhat excited about the potential for career 3.0. 

I am convinced I have ADD of the career. I have a myriad of interests and love to learn, so I tend to research and learn everything I can about any topic that interests me. So I tend to accumulate degrees, certifications, proficiencies and skills in an eclectic range of subjects. Being forced to go reinvent myself again has some upside. The one thing I am confident of is my ability to accomplish whatever task I put my mind into. I love challenge and impossible odds and proving the odds wrong. So this is just another one of my adventures to adapt to and overcome. It also makes for more interesting blog entries.

The biggest cost of the cuts is the human capital. Merck will lost many great people from all departments and divisions. In my nearly 8 years I have met some very wonderful (and a few less wonderful) people and developed many great friendships. When one adds up the time they spend at work, these work friends often see more of you than your own family does. In my case I was part of a well oiled team. Our team has faced a number of challenges the past 24 months and while already functionally broken up and separated we still manage to accomplish our goals and retain the bond of those friendships.

With the merger I also gained new colleagues and friends who add value to the company and my life. It is these bonds and friendships that will be the hardest obstacle ahead. Those left behind must find ways to keep going with their losses, the increased work and loss of friendships. Many of my colleagues have worked together for 20+ years. Those that know me should know I am not the most social of humans, but I am fiercely loyal to the friendships I do develop. For those that will loose friends of so long, I truly weep for the impact to their lives.

As one who studies organizational design and human capital, I can say regardless of how the dust settles, Merck has a huge hurdle of re-engaging those retained back into the work force and into productivity. The survivors will be mooring those who left, dealing with lost information, and other surprises, as well as increased work loads, more hours and more pressures. All while living under the axe for the future. I do not envy the survivors.

So onward to career 3.0! And if you know of any openings for over educated ex marine biologists with a crazy eclectic skill set let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment